Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Switching to a 7D

I have been waiting to get the Canon 7D since the rumors began.

From June 9th


It's incredibly well built, has great features and a decent price.
I've got a couple quips about it though.

My 1D MKII has a crop factor of 1.3x, while the 7D has 1.6x. Meaning my widest lens gets less wide. Blah.


More importantly, the 7D has a DLA (the aperture limit before an image loses sharpness) at f/6.3. My 1D has it at f/12.7.
I was worried that at higher apertures values, the quality loss will be to big to ignore.

I went to Silvio's to see how the two camera would compare.
Results below. Keep scrolling if you just want to read what I think.

From June 9th


Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L lens
ISO 100
f/5.6
1/125



Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L lens
ISO 100
f/8
1/80



Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L lens
ISO 100
f/11
1/30

You cant really see a difference until you zoom in 100%.

Even at f/11, the 7D quality was amazing! New tech overcomes the limit.
Its interesting that at exactly the same setting, the 7D came out slightly dimmer than the 1D. I am not sure what caused this.

If you want to get technical about sharpness difference, check out this site.

19 single AF points on the 7D.
My 1D has 45.
The 7D has the new iFCL (Intelligent focus, color, luminosity) meter. Meaning more accurate exposures when shooting in P, TV, AV.
However, I do the calculations in my head and shoot in manual mode, so I will lose 26 focal points for nothing.
:(
I'll just have to deal with this annoyance.

Some other stuff to deal with:
• Larger image sizes. Like 2x larger.
• No secondary memory card slot. Means no auto backups during shooting.
• No grip. I can buy one, but who wants to spend more money?
• I need $500 more after I sell my 1D.

One main thing to love about this camera is the size. Its half the weight of my 1D. Less weight means less fatigue, means less stress during shooting. When I held the 7D, it felt very comfortable and snug in my hands.

Overall I can’t wait to get it. As soon as a craigslist buyer decides to buy my medium excellent condition 1D MKII at $1000, Ill be set. Interested?

No comments: