Friday, August 21, 2009

The day I met Nick Ut.



Holy! I just found a photograph from a year ago that I thought I had lost.
Last year, my photo teacher hosted an event at Cal-State Fullerton. Nick Ut, and other famous photojournalists came to speak at the event.

He told me much about his experience as a photo journalist. The horrors of war photography. The napalm girl. And the psychological toll one goes through.
Nick taught me a lot in the 30 minutes I had with him.

Afterwords I realized, I don't think I can handle what he witnessed.
I idolized guys like Nick



Robert Capa



Kyoichi Sawada



I would much rather work to document humanitarian efforts. To showcase the good and triumphant.



Photographed by Thomas E. Franklin after the attack on 9/11



Photographed by Sal Veder from AP. "Burst of Joy" became an iconic image that symbolized the Vietnam wars end.



Photographed by Renée C. Byer.
"Racing barefooted after kicking off her flip-flops, Cyndie pushes her son Derek Madsen, 10, up and down hallways in the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento on June 21, 2005, successfully distracting him during the dreaded wait before his bone marrow extraction. Doctors want to determine whether he is eligible for a blood stem cell transplant, his best hope for beating neuroblastoma, a rare childhood cancer, which was diagnosed in November 2004."

2 comments:

Allen D. Wilson said...

Twas a great day. I should've had a photo taken too! Annie Wells is apparently going to become a priestess!

Unknown said...

These pictures are so sad.
It sucks what people do to each other when we stop seeing each other as people.
Nick Ut must have been a pretty incredible guy to go through all that and still be smiling in that pic with you. I think I'd still be hiding in bed under my covers. I think I'll go there now.