Saturday, August 29, 2009

The new king on the blog.

ZOMG... Forget the 5D MKII.



The Canon 7D

Here are the (supposed) spec's:

* 18 megapixels (-_-)
* Dual DiG!C 4 imaging processors, 14-bit A/D signal conversion (unconfirmed if full frame)
* 8 FPS (94 Large/Fine JPEGS or 15 RAW) (Just like my 1d MKII ;)
* 19 points cross type AF sensors. Eight-directional double cross central AF point
* ISO 100-6400, extends to 12800
* 100% coverage, 1.0x optical viewfinder with intelligent display, with electronic horizon line.
* 3.0″ LCD, 920,000 dot resolution, 160 degree viewing angle
* New iFCL meter system using high contrast and color detection (63-zone) (I have no idea what this will do, but it sounds good.)
* Newly-designed streamlined body, metallic shutter sound, shutter lifespan approx. 150,000 times (The 1d class has a shutter life of 200k.)
* HD movie, HDMI out, external mic input (1080p/24fps/40mbs?)
* EOS Integrated Dust Removal system
* Live view with Face-priority AF
* Auto Lighting Optimizer
* Auto correction of lens peripheral illumination (vignetting) (Cool)
* New switch for Live View/Video mode
* New 24mm wide-angle built-in flash supporting EOS E-TTL II

So I am not 100% sure this is the true final specifications for the 7D model, but it seems very probable.

Review--

Dual DiG!C 4 sensor
I looked online at what the benefits of having two sensors would bring. Basically it's about buffer size with high res images. You get more frames with a dual sensor, because when one fills up, the other takes over and stores the images before transferring them onto the memory card.

iFCL meter system
Matt Brown once told me, "It's better to keep your images neutral and punch up the color in shop. That way everything stays consistent, and you never have to worry about miscalculations the camera can make."

8 FPS @ 18 megapixels
This would be great for sports photography. I hope the file size is smaller than the 5d MKII's 25 MB file.

High ISO
64'000 to 128'000 sounds insane! I wonder if it can do 25'600?

Size
From the looks of it, the size will be similar to the 5D MKII. Lighter/Smaller/Durable is better.

HD Video Mode
The problem with the 5D MKII's HD video mode is it only records 15 min. at a time. (15 min = 4 GB) This is due to the limited buffer size of the DiG!C 4 sensor. Dual DiG!C sensors would double the buffer size, effectively doubling the record time. However, I have heard it is better to record in short bursts rather than longer intervals.

Overall, I think Canon is changing their body size for better portability. The smaller size will help photojournalists in the field. I take back what I initially said, because I am also a studio photographer.

2 comments:

we-joe said...

zomg!
i love my canon g10!
it's so small but perfect!

Don Giap Joseph Simon Nguyen said...

Daniel- 18mp! good lord. I know you can dumb down the size and all, but I think that is way too much for sports. I take almost 800 photos in an hour sitting for futbol. A terabite hard-drive should come with this when you buy it.

wejoe- the g10 is amazing!!! im going to get one for myself when i get a little extra moneyz!